William Jewell College will host the Northland’s 30th annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Celebration with a program beginning at 10 a.m. January 20 in John Gano Memorial Chapel on the college campus in Liberty, Mo. The program is free and the public is invited to attend.
The speaker will be The speaker will be Dr. Vernon Howard, Pastor of Second Baptist Church, Kansas City, Missouri..
In addition, campus and community leaders will be honored with the Martin Luther King, Jr. community service award. Recipients for 2014 include:
- Teresa Habernal—government administration; Liberty, Mo., resident
- Bryan Taylor—director of traditional music and worship arts at Liberty United Methodist Church; Liberty, Mo., resident
- Dobbe Dobberstine—president of Dobberstine Custom Homes; Liberty, Mo., resident
- Kothney-Issa Guillaume—William Jewell College senior from Gladstone, Mo.
- Beans & Greens Program—Historical Downtown Liberty Farmers Market and Clay County Public Health Center
- Frank McMillian—Publisher and owner of Winding River Communications Smithville, Missouri
Rev. Susan McCann, pastor of Grace Episcopal Church in Liberty, Mo., will receive the Invictus Award for social justice. The Caught in the Act Doing the Right Thing Award will be presented to Liberty High School Peer Helpers.
The program will also include a performance by Lori Tucker, Kansas City jazz artist; William Jewell College Concert Choir, directed by Dr. Anthony Maglione; and Liberty Community Chorus, directed by Bryan Taylor. A public reception will be held immediately following the program in the White Atrium of Yates-Gill College Union.
For a campus map with driving directions to William Jewell College, go to www.jewell.edu/maps.