The William C. Corum Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution of Liberty, Missouri, will perform a flag raising ceremony to replace the tattered flag at the historic Garrison School located at 502 N. Water Street on Saturday, July 28, at 4:00 p.m.
Garrison School was established in 1877 to educate African American youth of Liberty. The American flag has been a part of the Garrison School legacy over ninety years. Mr. James Allen Brooks, a 1941 Garrison School alum, remembers lining up with his classmates, as a part of the morning ritual, to march up the steps and around the flag pole into their specific grade classroom. His teacher, Mrs. Booker, would stand in her door with a wooden ruler in hand to discipline any of the unruly students. Afterwards, the students would assemble in the school auditorium where they would say a prayer, and repeat the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag.
The Sons of the American Revolution, who led the recent Liberty 4th of July Parade, are hosting this flag replacement ceremony as part of their official community service events for Liberty residents. The public is invited to attend.